Monday, October 15, 2012

{For the girls}

Hello girls,
Thank you for helping me embrace womanhood. You've been with me everyday. We've gone through some changes. You've been with me through good times. You've been with me through bad times, and sometimes you've caused me some pain. You've made me feel like a woman, and one day you will join me through motherhood. Every month I check on you girls, but this month I celebrate you. I not only celebrate you, but I celebrate those who've lost you - the original you, and gained a 'new' you. I celebrate those who've attacked breast cancer, and now give inspiration to women everywhere. I remember those who've gone before me, and learn from their experiences. This month, I celebrate my boobies, and support Breast Cancer Awareness.

This past weekend I had the great pleasure of sponsoring a table and donating some Stella & Dot pieces from our Breast Cancer Awareness line to the Pampered Pink Event held by The Clear Lake Regional Breast Diagnostic Center. I heard about the event last year when I worked for Clear Lake Regional, and donated Stella & Dot's Tribute bracelet (our Breast Cancer Awareness piece from 2011). Last year's event was the first event, and the expected guest count was 50-ish. There were more than 200 people who came that year! This year's event was at least 400 people in attendance (if not more), and hosted by Gloria Dei Lutheran Church. The creator and organizer, Joni Faas, of the Breast Diagnostic Center, had the idea of bringing together the women of the Bayarea and celebrating them - telling their stories of breast cancer, presenting awareness to the topic, and supporting the cause. My sister accompanied to the event, and we were both touched by the survivors and "sur-thrivers", as they call those men & women who are currently going through treatment. The best part was the fashion show put on by men & women who have or had breast cancer, hearing their stories, and seeing them transformed into beautiful butterflies. The shined and worked the runway in stunning outfits by the Clothes Horse in League City, Texas and Joseph A. Bank. My sister and I had the honor of sitting next to a woman who was in the middle of her treatment, and to hear her story as she was presented by a shaw made by a group of women who specifically make them for those affected by breast cancer to provide the receiver a "blanket" of support, encouragement, strength, and beauty during the difficult time.

 

{The winner of the Stella & Dot prize was Ashton from Volume Salon on Bayarea!}


{The beautiful and handsome men & women who've attacked cancer, and won!}

{These exquisite bras were made by women in the community for the silent auction.}

{My beautiful sister & I}

One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast caner in their lifetime. Over 220,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year. When breast cancer is detected early, the 5 year survival rate is 98%. Join me in the sisterhood and have 'that' conversation with your girlfriends. I urge you to do monthly self breast exams, make your annual well-women exam, including your mammogram - because early detection saves lives.












No comments:

Post a Comment